Translate

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Letter to my grandfather

Dear Poppie,

7 years ago. That is how long it has been since I lost you. You meant the world to me. It's been 7 years since I have heard you sing, laugh, seen you smile, hug me, say that you were proud of me, and told me how much you loved me. It seems like yesterday when I got the call that you were gone. It was so sudden. You have missed so many important moments in my life. You missed both of my proms, graduation from high school, and other things. You will miss my wedding and when I graduate from college. I miss your hugs and the way you just talked to me. I miss that. I miss having someone that understood me so well. Its weird on my birthday not getting a phone call from you saying happy birthday and singing to me. When I start to miss you, I look back at all the pictures I have of you and me. I remember all of the memories we made together. I loved staying with you and being able to do things with you. I thank God everyday for the 13 years I had with you. I wasn't a lot but we made the best of it. I know you are in a better place now. You aren't hurting and I am so thankful for that. I hated seeing you hurting or in the hospital. I felt so hopeless because I could do nothing for you. Seeing you in the hospital always scared me. I didn't know if you were going to come home or what. I hate that my 3 younger brothers didn't get to spend as much time with you but they did get to know you. I am so proud to be able to call you my grandfather. I know that one day I will see you again and I can't wait for that day. I can't imagine what you went through with 2 artificial legs but you got up every morning and put them on. You are my hero for that. You never gave up. No matter what. You were always smiling and in a great mood. I try to be like you and have your mind set. It's hard for me. You were the only person that understood me because I was so much like you. I always keep a smile on my face like you did. Nothing got that smile off of your face. Nothing bothered you. You were always in a good mood. I learned so many things from you that I will cherish. I learned about diabetes and how to increase and decrease blood sugar. I learned how to give an insulin shot and where to give it at. I learned to trust in God in everything. God will get us through the good and the bad times. I miss you so much! I love you, Poppie!! I always have and I always will. Thanks for 13 years of laughs, tears, hugs, songs, holidays, and just being you.

Love,
Me (Your 1st grandchild)

No comments:

Post a Comment